“It’s true—NLC is the ‘West Point’ for labor.”
Wow! We heard this and many other surprising things when we talked to more than a dozen students for a new blog series called “Fulfill Your Dreams with NLC.”
Each Friday, we’ll post a new story about one of our amazing students.
These NLC students balance 60-hour work weeks, newborns and political campaigning, all while completing their degrees online with NLC a course or two at a time. If you’d like to catch the Fulfill Your Dreams series, sign up to receive email notifications of new blog posts.
Thanks to our friends at Union Plus, each of the students is fulfilling a dream at NLC with the financial support of a scholarship.
Scholarships for the Fall semester are still available to help your dreams of completing a college degree come true. Make sure you apply by August 6th
9th to qualify for scholarships and federal financial aid.
Here are the recipients from this academic year:
- AFSCME – American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees
- Tina Davis of Local 1270/District Council 83 in Cherry Tree, PA
- Kurt Spiegel of Washington Federation of State Employees Council 28 in Port Orchard, WA
- CSEA – California School Employees Association
- Barbara Ramey of Chapter 629 in Red Bluff, CA
- Holley Luia of Chapter 638 in Kelseyville, CA
- IAM – International Association of Machinists
- Lydia Gallegos of Local 2198 in Albuquerque, NM
- IBB – International Brotherhood of Boilermakers
- Mark “Wes” Jorden of Local 374 in Hammond, IN
- IBEW – International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers
- Corey and Kristine Brown of Local 292 in St. Cloud, MN
- Alejandro Garcia of Local 357 in Las Vegas, NV
- William Hager of Local 369 in Louisville, KY
- Sandy Opstvedt of Local 55 in Des Moines, IA
- LIUNA – Laborers International Union of North America
- Walter Dority, Jr. of Local 172 in Trenton, NJ
- SAG-AFTRA – Screen Actors Guild – American Federation of Television and Radio Artists
- Nicholas Trammell of Denver, CO
- UA – United Association of Journeymen and Apprentices of the Plumbing and Pipe Fitting Industry of the United States and Canada
- George Bowman, Jr. of Local 420 in Philadelphia, PA
- William Steiner of Local 398 in Montclair, CA
- USW – United Steelworkers
- Rodney Donald of Local 9477 in Baltimore, MD
Check back tomorrow for the first post of the Fulfill Your Dreams series or sign up to receive email notifications of new blog posts.
$308,000 in Scholarships
The Union Plus Education Foundation’s donation to the NLC represents the largest financial aid contribution to the college. Since its inception, the Union Plus National Labor College Scholarship Program has provided $308,000 to help 277 NLC students. Each year, scholarships are determined and administered by the NLC.
For more information on how the AFL-CIO affiliated Union Plus benefits help union families afford higher education, visit www.UnionPlus.org/Education