Prior Learning Assessment
Students who participate in prior learning programs have higher college success rates.
NLC believes that students learn in many ways: through job training, union work, volunteering in their communities, starting a business, and hobbies. Our Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) lets you earn up to 30 credits by showing that the knowledge you've gained is similar to what you would have learned in a college course.
With PLA, students can earn up to 30 college credits for the cost of one NLC course.
The PLA workshop can be completed entirely online.
The PLA Workshop is a seven-week online program designed to get you on the road to success. Demonstrating college-level learning through the portfolio process is a writing-intensive endeavor. In the workshop, our instructors will teach you how to:
- Write a resume listing jobs, training, and education
- Identify areas of expertise where you've gained college-level knowledge
- Write essays about yourself documenting your experiences
- Provide supporting documentation, such as:
- Letters from colleagues or employers
- Licenses or certificates
- Photos, videos, recordings
- Samples of your work
- Learn how to submit your portfolio for evaluation.
To learn how PLA could work for you, contact your academic advisor or admissions counselor.
Prior Learning Assessment Guidebook (PDF)
Prior Learning Assessment Workshop (PowerPoint Presentation)
PLA Flyer (PDF)
Sample PLA Essay (PDF)
Sample PLA Resume (PDF)