National Labor College has gotten a good response to our survey about student interest in participating in an extended teach-out, but we have only heard from about 20% of our students. If you have not yet filled out the survey, click here to let us know about your interest. The more students that want to participate in this teach-out the better. There is also a link to the survey in the announcement section of your Moodle classroom.
Just to review the basics of this teach-out:
- After the College closes at the end of April, NLC students would take courses at other institutions to meet their degree requirements and transfer them back to NLC to complete their degrees.
- Students wanting to take advantage of this option would be required to work with an NLC academic advisor between now and the end of April to make a degree completion plan that would include identifying the institution where they would be taking courses.
- As students take courses at other institutions, they would send a transcript back to the NLC Registrar who would update records and when students complete all requirements, the Registrar would send an NLC diploma.
- This option would end in December of 2015, so students would need to complete an NLC degree by that time.
If students were unable to complete an NLC degree by December 2015, they could continue on with the other institution and get a degree from that institution in a closely aligned area.
The College is currently reviewing potential institutions to participate in the teach-out. Some of the likely candidates include Empire State College, Penn State, and the University of Illinois, if you would like to begin to review the various options.
For all NLC students, transcripts will always be available from the Maryland Higher Education Commission (MHEC). We will be archiving them there and will have directions on our website about how to access those transcripts. The website will remain up in perpetuity.
To answer questions about the teach-out, I will be holding several national teleconferences over the next couple weeks, as follows:
- Wednesday, January 22 at 7:30pm Eastern, Call in #: 888-296-1938, code: 900460
- Tuesday, January 28 at 8:00pm Eastern, Call in #: 888-296-1938, code: 900460
- Thursday, January 30 at 11:30am Eastern, Call in #: 888-296-1938, code: 900460
If you have already asked to be contacted by an advisor, you will be getting a call before the end of January.
Don’t forget to put April 26 on your calendar and plan to join us on campus for our closing convocation and final commencement ceremony.